Lord of Secrets - Alyssa Everett This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 25, 2013
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Hopelessly Naive Heroine
Favorite Tropes: Marriage of Convenience, Heroine Thinks She’s Undesirable (Husband Refuses to Consummate Marriage)

While I won’t give spoilers, readers should be aware that there are some pretty sensitive issues addressed in this book, and though they are handled quite well, they may be hard for some readers.

I love a good, angsty story that involves a heroine who thinks she’s unattractive because her husband avoids intimate encounters. Even though I figured out the “secret” pretty early on, and I on occasion wanted to smack the heroine for her naiveté and somewhat obnoxious optimism, I loved this one.

The heartbreak surrounding David’s tragic past was revealed in stages, and by the time the reader learns the full extent of the events that have twisted David’s own self worth into a ball of hatred and self-loathing, we are already as hopelessly in love with him as Rosalie has found herself.

Rosalie’s own journey from almost overwhelming self-sacrificing optimism to having her eyes ripped opened to the realities of the world was almost as painful as David’s journey, and though her behavior originally irritated me, I found that in the end, had her character been any less optimistic, or had she been any less, well, Rosalie, she would not have been strong enough to pull either herself nor David out of the mess that resulted from the mess of an impulsive marriage between two people who, on the surface, were never meant for each other.

Wonderfully, beautifully done.