With This Kiss: Part One - Eloisa James This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please read The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 12, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://eloisajames.com/
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, With This Kiss Serial, Spinoff of The Ugly Duchess & Seduced By A Pirate
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Chaste
Pet Peeves: Love Triangle, No HEA
Favorite Tropes: Unrequited Love, Love Through Letters

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a double-length novella split up into a digital serial before, so the entire concept of this story’s publication intrigued me as much as the story itself when I first heard of it.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on all three parts at once, and though I was perhaps a bit spoiled by the fact that I didn’t have to wait between finishing this installment and beginning the next, I can’t help but think that the week-long wait would be just right to temper any frustration in having to wait with a bite of sweetness from being denied something you want for just a moment.

That said, I would recommend going ahead and pre-ordering all three if you’re reading this review before they’re all out, as none of them would work very well in my opinion as a self-contained story.

As for this installment individually, I was very pleasantly surprised by what an emotional punch it packed in such a relatively low word count. The characters were all well developed, and even though the span of many years are covered in this section of the story, it never felt rushed, or as though important events had been glossed over.

Instead, the focus is exactly where it belongs — on Colin and on Grace and their development both as individuals and as possible romantic interests — and the other characters adding on when needed.

Overall, even with the cliff-hanger ending, it was fantastic.

Recommended for fans of childhood crushes that turn to unrequited love, of good men who are darkened by the realities of war, and of wanting what is best for someone you love, even when it hurts.

4.5/5 Stars