A Tale of Two Lovers - Maya Rodale This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: Available Now!
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://www.mayarodale.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Writing Girl
Series Best Read In Order: Worked well as a standalone
Steam Level: Hot

This book wasn’t quite what I expected, but in a good way. Simon is what I like to call, a man-ho. He loves women — their taste, their smell, the touch of their skin, and one thing that sets him apart from other rakes is that he doesn’t make the mistake of thinking that women are all interchangeable. Instead, he enjoys falling in love. Over and over and over. For about a week or two at a time.

Julianna made the mistake of falling in love with a rake when she was 17, and even though he loved her as well, their love didn’t last and he went back to his promiscuous and scandalous ways. When he was killed trying to manage his drink, a prostitute, and a carriage (all at the same time), Julianna was left almost penniless because her horrible husband left the majority of his estate to previous mistresses and the illegitimate children he’d fathered by them. Julianna has turned to writing as not only a way to make money, but also a way to earn her own self-respect.

This book had a lot of what I like to call “exterior angst”, where things like societal opinions and familial ultimatums create most of the stress. There was Simon’s fall from grace, the revenge scandal he visited upon Julianna, his reasons for marrying, and Julianna’s employment issues which caused most of the trouble for these two, and yet in the end, the real issue was whether Simon could remain faithful, and whether Julianna could risk her heart with someone proven to be fickle.

Above all, though, this book was fun. The things repercussions of their ruined reputations aside, the banter and little revenge plots between Simon and Julianna were immensely entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them fall for each other. I still wish there’d been an epilogue so that we could see that Simon was really and truly faithful to her, but even so, 4/5 Stars.