Untitled Downside Ghosts - Stacia Kane {Read January 2012. Reread August 2013}

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 27, 2012
Publisher: Random House
Imprint: Del Rey
Author’s Website: staciakane.net
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, Downside Ghosts series
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

This book broke my heart. It did. Broke it into tiny little pieces, scattering on the ground as I read. And yet, I loved it, just as I’ve loved the first three books in the series. It was thrilling. It was emotional. It was completely devastating, and the ending changed everything.

Chess is even more emotionally damaged than she has been in previous novels and it shows, with a very noticeable increase in her drug use, her self-sabotage, and her trust issues. There was one moment in the middle of the story where I was literally saying “no no no no no no NO!” out loud, and I admit, that sentiment returned several times over the course of the novel.

While not what I would consider to be a “steamy” read, I’ve always felt that the heat in this series is far higher than it would be with an identical scene in any other story, simply due to the emotions behind the love scenes.

I definitely think that newcomers to the series would be doing themselves a disservice by starting with this book, because while enough information was given to be a good refresher, there’s so much nuance and important history between all of the major players that a newcomer would miss having not experienced the previous novels. That, and I love this series so much that I think everyone should read it anyway.

Overall, I of course adored it. Chess’ self-hatred and self-sabotage did start to grate on me towards the end, which I admit almost kept it from being a 5-star read, but the ending was absolutely amazing and the setup for the next story has me frothing at the mouth at the thought of having to wait until June to read it, which more than made up for any irritation I might have had with Chess.

An incredibly solid 5/5 Stars.